Student Loans – Carmel 6th Form

Student Loans

To cover the costs of studying you can apply for:

• a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fees in full.

• a Maintenance Loan for living costs like rent (full-time students only).

• a Maintenance Grant if your household income is less than £42,600 (full-time students only).

• scholarships and bursaries from colleges and universities.

• extra financial help if you have a disability or children or adults depending on you.

Full-time students have to pay back any loans plus interest once you leave your course and start earning more than £21,000 a year. Part-time students who earn over £21,000 a year have to start paying back their loans after four years even if their course hasn’t finished.

If you leave your course early you need to repay a percentage of the Tuition Fee Loan for that year – see ‘Paying back your student loan’ for details.

You don’t have to pay back grants, scholarships or bursaries.

Tuition fees are the amount universities or colleges charge you each year to study up to £9,000 a year for new full-time students and up to £6,750 a year for new part-time students

Full-time students can apply for a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs these loans are paid into your bank account at the start of each term. Part-time students can’t apply for a Maintenance Loan. The exact amount full-time students can borrow depends on:

• your family’s income

• where you live

• what year of study you’re in

• what help you get through the Maintenance Grant

Full details can be found on the Directgov website